Sunday, August 5, 2012

Is Junior Dos Santos Ducking Cain Velasquez?

UFC Heavyweight Champion Junior Dos Santos picture belongs to http://bleacherreport.com





















Since Junior Dos Santos {15-1} earned a early 1st round knockout over Cain Velasquez {10-1}, many fans around the world have been buzzing over another rematch for the UFC Heavyweight Championship.

Cain Velasquez came into the fight as the World Champion after a first round TKO win over former UFC champion Brock Lesnar, he looked to be a man that was going to be unstoppable.

The loss to Junior Dos Santos was the very first of Cain's career, most of the time you see a lot of great fighters when they suffer that first loss its usually a bad one like that.

I couldn't tell you what went through Cain's head during the first fight, in reality the only one who can answer that is him.

I didn't think Cain Velasquez was going to lose, I especially didn't think the fight would be over in 1 minute and 4 seconds.

At UFC 146 both fighters would be on the same card, Cain had his chance at getting back into the title picture while Junior was defending the title against another former champion Frank Mir.

Both fighters displayed some serious skills, they managed to win both of their fights very convincingly.

Cain unloaded a barrage of strikes over Antonio Silva stomping him for a 1st round TKO win, Cain showed flashes of his old self throwing some vicious strikes.

Junior Dos Santos on the other side was also fantastic, he completely dominated Frank Mir who is up there with being the best in the division.

Junior would finish with a 2nd round TKO win, Frank Mir showed a lot of heart to even stay in that fight, it was obvious from the start that his striking skills were nowhere near the skills of Junior Dos Santos.

It was said that both Junior Dos Santos and Cain Velasquez would meet in September to prove who is the better fighter, the fight would later be said to be moved back due to a few nicks Junior suffered during training..

Now its being said Junior Dos Santos is penciled in to fight on December 29th, in the same sentence it was also said his opponent was undetermined.

Now I'm reading stories from Velasquez camp that say from the start Junior has been ducking this fight because he wants to fight Alistair Overeem {36-11-1}.

I don't want to get into why Alistair is in the middle of a 9 month suspension, all I will say was he was caught using enhancements that were not permitted.

Alistair was very impressive in his last fight with a 1st round TKO win over Brock Lesnar back at UFC 141, he definitely is a worthy opponent.

I don't want to take anything away from the fact that yes that would be a great fight to see Junior Dos Santos Vs Alistair Overeem, with that being said Cain Velasquez has earned this chance.

If Junior has been open to setting up a rematch fight with Cain, then he should be a champion that sticks to his word.

I don't like it when champions start to duck the better fighters, I personally don't see why Junior would be afraid of taking any fight right now.

As far as I'm concerned his standup is just lethal, he looks like if he wanted to he could become a boxer and be one of the best in the world.

A part of me is starting to feel like Junior saw something in Cain's last fight that has him in retreat, you have to wonder even after defeating him the first time if Junior can do it again.

Maybe that question is starting to ring in side the head of our Heavyweight champion, or maybe he actually hates Alistair Overeem that much.

Still at the end of the day your champion has the fight the best available, there is no way you can put Alistair Overeem above Cain Velasquez right now.

No matter what their records are, the fact remains one man has been the UFC champion the other hasn't.

Usually when a champion is defeated he is given a rematch, it is almost a given that your going to see a rematch when that happens.

I think Cain deserves a shot at redeeming himself, time in and time out he has proved himself you cannot hold him down over one loss.

Junior Dos Santos needs to do the right thing, put your personal feelings aside and give the UFC fans the better fighter.

As for Cain Velasquez and his camp I expect them to be very vocal about this over the next few weeks, I expect them to land the rematch on December 29th.

I honestly think Junior loves a good fight so I really hope this is not your classic tale of the champion ducking worthy opponents.

No comments:

Post a Comment