Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Love Him Or Hate Him Jon Jones Is Still The Champ

Turning down a fight with Chael Sonnen on 8 days could have been the biggest mistake of Jon Jones career so far, however you have to respect how he handled it in the end.

He knew going into his fight against Vitor Belfort that he would have to hear it from the fans for the cancellation of UFC 151, even with an older Vitor Belfort, he still had his hands tied as he was defending his title against a former champion.

Vitor Belfort is a fighter who is more than capable of winning any fight, he is a fighter who likes to press the attack.

When people ask why Vitor didn't press the attack with Jon Jones? There is a simple answer to that the man just pulverized him.

Jon Jones did have to overcome adversity in round 1 though, Vitor was able to catch Jon Jones in an armbar that Jones was lucky enough to escape.

From that point on the fight belonged to Jon "Bones" Jones, he showed why he is at the top of the Light Heavyweight division, he also showed why he is one of the best in the sport.

Personally I'll never agree with his decision not to fight on 8 days, but in the end I think we saw that he is going to be hard to beat.

I'm curious to see how he would handle someone like Dan Henderson, I respect the fact Jon Jones said after UFC 152 that he was ready to fight him next.

You cannot say he is a champion that ducks fighters anymore considering he pretty much called out one of the best strikers in MMA.

You cannot question his heart after he refused to tap to Vitor Belfort knowing he arm could have been snapped at any moment.

At this point were going to have to forget UFC 151 being canceled, lets just focus on a young champion who is a future UFC hall of famer.

I love Chael Sonnen but we all know he didn't deserve a title shot, he was asked to fill in at UFC 151 because the UFC needed someone to step in on 8 days.

Now all of that has passed, if Chael wants a shot at Jon Jones he is going to have to earn it like anyone else in the division, and I'm 100 percent sure Chael has no problem doing just that.

See I look at Dan Henderson as a fighter who is actually more dangerous than Chael Sonnen, they both train together but Dan Henderson has Heavyweight power.

I've never seen anyone in the Light Heavyweight division hit as hard as Dan Henderson, I think if Jon Jones defends his title against him that he could have a serious problem.

Again I have a lot of respect for the fact that Jon Jones called him out, he spoke like a true champion after UFC 152, I'm excited to see how this division is going to unfold.

Lets see what happens because were set up to have some great fights for the remainder of 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment