![]() |
| Arod 15h inning walkoff homer 2009 vs Boston picture belongs to dailynews.com |
Alex Rodriguez no matter what happens from this point on will still go down as one of the best all around players in Baseball history.
I will admit it disappoints me about what he has done overall in the playoffs, but if you look back 2009 was just a historic season, he did the impossible many times.
In a lot of ways I think 2009 was the best season of his career, you look at the fact he had to return from major hip surgery which has ended player's careers in the past.
I remember he missed the first 28 games, he came back on the first pitch he saw belted a 3 run home run in Baltimore, from that time on until the end of the year he was the most clutch hitter in the game.
As great as he was in 2007 he didn't do it when the playoffs came, as you saw I think he was 4 for 14 better than previous postseasons before that, but what he did in 2009 tied the record with 18 for the most runs batted in during a single postseason.
I think a lot of the problem with Alex over the last couple of seasons has been his inability to catch up to quicker pitching, his bat speed has been dragging for way too long.
People try to doubt his power I saw him hit a bomb off Justin Verlander not too long ago, the power is still there, people don't realize as a player gets older its about bat speed.
There is a reason he is hitting so many choppers toward third, he use to get away with it because he could always beat out the throw, but now you look at Alex his lost a step on the bases so he has to change his game in some ways.
I don't know how a hitting coach can watch him and Mark Teixeira take those long slow swings for as long as they have, and not make the proper adjustments.
When your constantly getting beat on that pitch up and in then you have to go back to the drawing boards, you have to figure out a way to keep producing on the reg.
People always say hey its up to Alex to work on things himself, well what are the Yankees paying guys like Kevin Long for?
Its time someone on that coaching staff mans up gets in Alex Rodriguez's face and tells him straight up either make the adjustments or Eric Chavez plays third base.
I'm waiting for Joe Girardi to actually play the role of manager, and light a fire under the guy, Alex is the type of player that needs to be brought back to step 1 sometimes to get him back in reality.
Alex hits a home run and all of a sudden you can still it on his face he thinks he is the best, you have to tell him flat out its time to start producing again.
People are giving up way too fast on a player who was the youngest to ever hit 600 home runs, I think there is still a lot of Baseball left in his tank.
When it comes to his defense declining that you can't really put all the blame on him for because it looks to be age thats slowing him down at the hot corner.
If you look to Alex's left captain Derek Jeter has been playing a brutal defensive short as of late which again is the result of what happens with age.
When it comes to the bat I can see the power is not only still there, there is a large part of me that believes he still may be one of the strongest in the game next to Robinson Cano.
Not a knock on Alex but I do believe the time to make him the official DH is right around the corner, I watched him lately and just doesn't look like he is moving too well at third base.
To many who wouldn't like that idea, you have to keep in mind this is a player getting closer to 40 you have to find ways to keep him healthy.
When your paying a player as much as you pay Alex, you have to make it a priority to keep him hitting and keep him happy.
Many fans willing to give up on Alex Rodriguez not me, I know deep down he will get it going again then you will have all of these fans coming out of nowhere to praise him.
Even if were looking at the last few seasons of his career he will end up with over 3,000 hits, right now Alex is currently at 2,846 hits which would tell you that he will probably reach the 3,000 mark next year during the 2013 season.
You all want to count out a future hall of famer go ahead because when he gets it going again I'll be the one right there to say I told you so.

No comments:
Post a Comment