Thursday, June 28, 2012

Remembering A True Yankeee Great

Retired great #20 Jorge Posada picture belongs to http://thexlog.com
Retired Yankees catcher Jorge Posada was at many times shaky behind the plate, but for anyone who watched his career I'm sure they would tell you how much we miss his bat in the lineup.

This was a guy where I bashed him to people pretty much his entire career, for some reason I just never gave the guy a break.

I hated the way he caught so much that I did nothing but bad mouth the guy, not like it matters to him but I miss the guy in Yankee pinstripes.

During Jorge's retirement press conference I couldn't help but feeling terrible, the way he is with his family and the media he is a man of class.

I got mad because I always saw him as a selfish player, but watching him during the last 3 years of his career made me realize what a team guy he is deep down.

I'm sure it really hurt his pride to have to accept being taken out of the depth chart as a catcher, anyone who has played the game knows that is a feeling that is almost as bad as losing.

Jorge lifetime didn't have the greatest postseason numbers, but throughout his last 3 seasons I will say he definitely stepped it up under the lights of October.

I wish the Yankees would bring him back in some way right now, so many games I watch and say to myself we could really use the pop in his bat right now.

I get it that he wasn't the catcher anymore I honestly think it was a great decision to make him the DH, what I don't understand is why the Yankees didn't really offer him anything after he hit .429 against the Detroit Tigers in the 2011 ALDS.

If you wonder why he had no runs batted in, well there is a perfect explanation for that nobody else was really getting on base.

At the end of an excellent career he is the man tied with Yogi Berra for the Yankees franchise record for most home runs in a season by a catcher with 30.

For a catcher he has had some of the best offensive numbers with a career average of .273 with 275 home runs and 1065 runs batted in.

Nobody realizes how hard it is to hit as an everyday catcher at any level, imagine how hard it is to do in the major leagues?

Yankee fans will forever remember the great #20 Jorge Posada, I wish him nothing but the best along with his family they have more class than you could ever ask for.

Thank you Jorge for your dedication to New York and everything you do outside of the game as well, he will always be a role model for every kid growing up.

This blog was for you Chuck when it comes to the game of Hockey your my hero, and I wish I could be half the player you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment