Monday, May 6, 2013

Where Does Chael Sonnen Go From Here?

Chael Sonnen after loss to UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Jon Jones
 Chael Sonnen {28-13-1}was a man of his word, he showed up to UFC 159 firing away the entire time but it wasn't enough.

{18-1} Jon Jones managed to dominate Chael at his own game, many analysts going into the fight thought Jones would have problems defending the takedowns.

I cannot remember anyone taking down Chael 3 times inside a round, for the entire round it was a one sided beating.

At the end of everything its hard to imagine Chael ever getting another title shot, realistically it was probably his last shot to win a UFC title.

I don't know where he goes from here, its been said there has been talks about a fight with him and Wanderlei Silva {35-12-1} but you never know.

There has always been a feud between Chael and Wanderlei, at that time the fight didn't make sense but right now it makes all the sense in the world.

It would be easy for Sonnen to walk away from the sport and just be an analyst but the guy loves being a fighter more than anything.

Watching the UFC 159 main event a couple of times over the fight was called way too soon, as much as Jones dominated Chael he didn't knock him out.

Chael was still defending himself and in a fight like that you don't want to make a controversial decision which was done by refs the entire night.

To love the sport you have to live with the outcome of every fight, you have to also respect the refs decision as much as you disagree with it.

Its a judgement call and maybe in his eyes he was saving Chael Sonnen from serious damage, all I know is Chael never backed down or made any excuses.

I think Chael has been doing great things for the UFC, if you think about it he fired up Jon Jones and brought him to a level he has never been before.

Jon Jones is now calling out the bigger guys and wants to show the world that he is the greatest fighter in the world.

If Anderson Silva somehow makes it past Chris Weidman there may be a superfight with him Vs Jon Jones, guys like Chael Sonnen are calling them out for not taking the fight yet.

We need more of this in the UFC, guys need to start calling other fighters out, I want to see the best fights we can see.

Chael Sonnen had 3 title shots and failed in each attempt, he also took on the top 2 pound for pound fighters in the sport and he took 5 and a half out of 7 rounds with Anderson Silva.

Most of the time Chael fought Anderson Silva he completely dominated him, UFC 148 the knee by Anderson Silva was definitely illegal.

Anyone who questions where the knee connected should think about the fact Anderson was holding onto the fence which added momentum and is also illegal.

Chael would have been able to take Anderson Silva down at some points before that in round 2 but Anderson was holding Chaels shorts and the fence for 20 seconds at a time, you guessed it thats also illegal.

You move on but it would be nice if more MMA analysts mentioned those things, either way I have a feeling Chael Sonnen Vs Wanderlei Silva will happen.

I wouldn't count out either fighter, I also think it would be nice for Chael to get his chance to redeem himself in some fans eyes.

To me I think the guy has always been a warrior, I respect the fact he doesn't back down from a fight, this guy backs up what he says.

He goes in there and runs right at you, if he goes down he doesn't make any excuses he always takes his beatings like a man.

I think its going to be a great year for the UFC, April was full of some great fights and some great moments.

I cannot wait to see whats going to happen in the future but for now I will say Chael Sonnen has nothing to be ashamed of.

No comments:

Post a Comment