Friday, September 14, 2012

Greed Has Dominated The Sport Of Boxing For Too Long

Greed Has Dominated The Sport Of Boxing For Too Long picture belongs to http://proboxinginsider.com














The need to make the most money has completely washed away the times of watching a fighter go out there and fight for self respect.

So many fighters are protected with hand picked opponents, lighter training regimes and false propaganda in order to gain popularity.

I'm going to take the top two names in the sport and talk about why I think they are the most responsible for what is going on now.

I grew up watching fighters who fought whoever was in front of them, I also remember if there was two opponents who were said to be evenly matched they seemed to always give us what we wanted to see.

I don't remember fighters ducking fights for years, I don't remember fighters taking fights with less talented opponents because it made the most money.

Its really confusing to see Boxing has come down to Manny Pacquaio taking a 4th fight with Juan Marquel Marquez because he in his own words basically said he was looking to take the bigger payday.

I could understand not taking a rematch with Timothy Bradley, those of you who saw the 1st fight between them know Manny won that fight so a rematch with him would be irrelevant.

Here you are center of the Boxing world, you have the chance to give the fans a fight they would want to see and your best choice is some over the hill fighter who you already beat more than once.

For those of you who actually think Juan Marquel Marquez beat Manny Pacquaio there last fight, you cannot win a fight when your gassed out for the last 4 rounds.

Juan Marquez landed some nice counter shots, but Manny Pacquaio was picking him apart as the fight went out.

Its not a knock on Juan Marquez but his time has passed, its time to give the opportunity to a young fighter trying to make their name in the sport.

You look throughout the ranks in Boxing, there is many fighters who have unbeaten records that would make a more entertaining fight than a fighter on his way out.

Now were going to take a look at Floyd "Money" Mayweather, the one thing I'll say about him at the least is at least he is upfront about being all about the money.

Never has there been a time where I myself as a boxing fan ever got it twisted about this guy, anyone who has seen Boxing over the last few years know what this man is all about.

Floyd may be one of the most talented boxers to ever step in a ring, with that being said you have to acknowledge the fact hes an arrogant jerk.

You have to give him credit for the hard fought win he had recently over Miguel Cotto, that fight was an absolute war and the better fighter came out on top.

Lets be honest now because I'm not knocking Shane Mosley, Victor Ortiz or Juan Manuel Marquez, but since when were any of those three fighters on the level of Floyd Mayweather?

Now take in the fact I'm talking about a worn down beaten Shane Mosley as opposed to what he was at one time, take the fact Victor Ortiz and Juan Marquez were nothing more than tune up fights.

Lets think about it now the last time he really fought a real opponent other than Miguel Cotto was Ricky Hatton in 2007.

To me there is no excuse for why the #1 pound for pound fighter in boxing has fought two relevant fights for the last 5 years.

Taking a look back at Manny Pacquaio hes not much different, for two fighters who are said to be so much above other fighters they don't seem to have the urge to prove it.

I look at the Klitschko brothers those are the real #1 and 2 pound for pound fighters, those are two champions who fight the best ranked heavyweights in the world.

They prove themselves time in and time out, never have either one of them with the exception of fighting each other ever backed down from a fight.

I think at the end of the day what really annoys me about a Manny Pacquaio, every time you listened to a boxing analyst they want you to love him.

I remember I was really behind the guy after he was screwed over after he dominated Timothy Bradley, from that point on he dropped the ball.

Manny could have kept boxing alive and showed hes the best in the world, instead he chose to do what his promoter Bob Arum said would make him the most money.

Again what makes Manny Pacquaio even worse than Floyd Mayweather, Manny pretends to be an honest man whos true to god when hes really all about whats best for him.

Us the fans have the power to stop giving money into a sport thats content on continuously ripping us off, its time we stop letting fighters like Manny Pacquaio and Floyd Mayweather take money out of our pockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment