![]() | |||
| Forrest Griffin Vs Chael Sonnen at UFC 155 picture belongs to bleacherreport.com |
Watching guys like these two fighters is what really drew me into becoming the UFC fan I am today.
Over the years growing up I never watched the sport as much as I wanted to because I was too busy following sports in New York.
At UFC 155 Forrest Griffin and Chael Sonnen will bring back the respect for American MMA fighters.
Even with Americans holding championships in the UFC, somehow all you ever hear about is the amount of talent that comes from Brazil.
I wish people would look at UFC history because most of the fighters in the UFC hall of fame come from America.
In almost every weight class thats ever been in the UFC American fighters were the first to hold the title.
If you also look by how many fighters from each country won titles in the UFC, there has been 73 American champions with Brazil at 17 champions way behind in 2nd place.
So many Brazilian fighters want to take their fights in their own country instead of giving back to the fans who are responsible for most of the money these fighters make.
Finally were going to realize in the MMA world what the U.S.A is all about, were going to send two of our toughest guys in there to wreck each other.
There is no titles to be won, I don't even think the winner will earn a title shot next this fight is all about pride.
When Forrest Griffin {18-7} became the 1st fighter to ever win the Ultimate Fighter show it changed the UFC forever.
They will probably continue showing the program on Fuel TV, but it was truly remarkable how his fight would be the only Ultimate Fighter finale to give contracts to both participants.
Forrest had an all out war with Stephen Bonnar, this fight to this day is remembered as one of the best fights to ever take place in the world of MMA.
Although Forrest edged out the win by decision, it was awesome to see Stephen Bonnar rewarded for fighting such a hard fight.
Forrest has been the type of fighter who seems to never get the respect he deserves, when he was set to take on Rampage Jackson not too many people gave him much of a chance.
At UFC 86 Forrest shocked the world and defeated Rampage Jackson by way of decision to capture the UFC Light Heavyweight title.
What makes Forrest a warrior is he doesn't have the most talent, but after defeating Rampage he went on to face two of the best pound for pound fighters in the UFC Rashad Evans and Anderson Silva.
UFC 92 would be thee end of Forrest's title reign as he was defeated by "Sugar" Rashad Evans by way of TKO in the 3rd round.
Most fighters would take the time after that to face opponents who are not as good just to get back in the swing of things.
Forrest would then take on the #1 pound for pound fighter in the UFC today Anderson Silva at UFC 101.
Anderson Silva knocked Forrest Griffin out in the 1st round, but the fact this man was willing to step in there with anyone shows what kind of man he is.
He would later go on to win 3 out of his next 4 fights defeating Tito Ortiz by way of decision in 2 of those fights.
Now coming off his UFC 148 victory over the great Tito Ortiz, Forrest has been swept under the carpet as someone to mention in the title picture.
Now on the other hand you look at his UFC 155 opponent former Middleweight contender Chael Sonnen {27-12-1}.
Chael seems to have all the attention wherever he goes, this is a fighter who knows how to promote himself and does it as well as anyone.
Chael unlike Forrest lost his fight at UFC 148, but he lost against Anderson Silva who has never been defeated in the UFC.
I'm not going to count out either fighter because they couldn't defeat Anderson Silva, I think we should applaud these fighters for having the courage to take on anyone at any time.
Recently Chael was asked to face Jon Jones on 8 days notice for the Light Heavyweight title in order to save the Main Event for UFC 151.
The show would go on to be canceled because Jon Jones refused to fight Chael on 8 days like that, like I've said many times although Jon Jones holds the title the pressure would have been on Chael Sonnen.
UFC president Dana White seemed floored by the all situation, Jon Jones would later go on to give a bunch of different reasons why he said no, but real MMA fans know whats what.
You might be able to fool some members of the media, but you cannot pull the shades over the eyes of the UFC fans.
Now were back to expecting a great battle between Forrest Griffin and Chael Sonnen, two fighters I've always supported.
As a fan its really hard for me to say who is going to win this fight, I want to say Chael is going to take it but if you remember back in 2003 Forrest Griffin defeated Chael Sonnen by making him tap out to the triangle choke in the IFC Global Promotion.
Lets also think back to UFC 117, Chael seems to be very vulnerable to the triangle choke which is said by many MMA fighters to be a pretty basic move.
I'm sure Chael Sonnen has worked on making a lot of adjustments to his Jiu Jitsu so I expect the kinks to be worked out, but you also have to keep in mind that Forrest is not afraid to keep it standing either.
I could see this two slugging it out, I'm sure Chael is going to try and take this fight to the ground in order to tire out Griffin, but I don't see this being a one sided fight.
I think your going to see two fighters fighting to the death in there, Chael seemed like his striking has really improved over the last 2 to 3 years.
Like I said earlier this fight will bring back the name for American fighters in the UFC considering Jon "Bones" Jones proved hes not a fighter who will fight for self respect.
People can undersell Forrest Griffin all they want at least he and Chael Sonnen are willing to throw down, at least there men.
At UFC 155 get ready for a war because this wont be two guys trying to hug each other for 15 minutes, there going to punch each others faces in, and its going to be great.
I want Chael Sonnen to win because you have to go with your #1 favorite fighter, but whatever happens I won't be disappointed because these are two fighters I will always support.

No comments:
Post a Comment