![]() | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Chris Weidman finishes Mark Munoz with a TKO in 2nd round picture belongs to http://bleacherreport.com |
Chris Weidman improved to 5-0 in the UFC with an overall MMA record of 9-0 after he was asked prior to the fight if he thought he had what it took to challenge Middleweight champion Anderson "The Spider" Silva.
There was a lot of pressure for Chris leading into this fight, when you go into a fight knowing that if you don't win it may take years to get back in the title picture its a lot.
The one thing that really is great about the UFC is if you have fighters who are on serious runs they get rewarded for it with title shots, you have seen so many times in professional Boxing it takes years for fighters to earn a title opportunity.
At the age of 28 Chris now stands on top of the Middleweight contenders waiting for a chance to accomplish what so many have failed to do.
I am not just saying this as someone who badly wants to see Anderson Silva get knocked out, I speak as a UFC fan when I say this guy looks like he has heart.
When I heard him speaking after the weigh in for the fight against Mark Munoz, I could see a lot of confidence running through this guy.
He really looks like he is hungry to get in there and scrap with the best, a large part of me wanted to see Michael Bisping get the next title shot, but after the way C. Weidman handled M. Munoz he earned a shot.
If you look at Chris Weidman he has defeated Damien Maia and Mark Munoz back to back now, you have to take this guy as a serious contender.
Before jumping to the UFC C. Weidman had won the Middleweight championship for his previous promotion ring of combat.
Chris won the title with a submission victory over Uriah Hill in Atlantic City, New Jersey on September 24th, 2010.
Now he stands in familiar territory with a chance to defeat the top fighter in the Middleweight division, only this time he is doing it on the grandest stage of MMA the UFC.
Chael Sonnen was scheduled to face Mark Munoz to decide if he would earn a shot at Anderson Silva, but Mark was replaced by Michael Bisping due to an injury.
So you have to say Mark Munoz is obviously a real contender so if Chris Weidman didn't earn a title shot I would be really surprised.
After a TKO victory on Sunday night over Mark Munoz, Chris Weidman was also awarded with knockout of the night.
Chris has also won a submission night of the night award for a submission victory at UFC 131 over Jesse Bongfeldt.
Everyone is going around calling Anderson Silva such a great champion, as Anderson says just fight bro lets see it.
Lets just make this fight official, I love seeing new blood come in looking for a piece of it all.
Looking at it from the outside most will expect an easy Anderson Silva victory but for some reason I always believe in the ones that fall under the radar.
I don't know much about Chris Weidman but from what I've seen he looks to be someone who would have no problems going in there, and slugging it out with the best in the sport.
We all saw Anderson's skills are definitely up there especially since he was able to figure out the one fighter who basically made him look like an amateur at times.
The one thing Chael Sonnen had a good point with is the way Anderson carries his gloves low is just plain amateur, you don't go into a fight with your hands down.
This is not Boxing this is straight up fighting any fighter who fights like that is begging to get knocked out. I really hope someone sees this the way Chael does, but finishes.
Chael Sonnen was his own worst enemy, he wasn't able to get wrist control during the end of the 1st fight, in the 2nd fight he goes outside of the box and goes for a ridiculous spinning back fist.
Once he fell down I knew that was it, I actually at first thought Anderson was going to get disqualified then when I heard them saying it was a legal knee I just laughed it off.
It was definitely illegal as it led to the nasty gash across the edge of Chael's nose, Chael didn't complain so the case was closed, but I still thought Anderson fight a dirty fight.
There is still a large part of me that wants to see someone teach this punk a real lesson, obviously Chael Sonnen failed to officially put his stamp on the matter so its up to Chris Weidman.
Can Chris Weidman do what no man has ever done in the UFC? Can he fight through the hype and see Anderson as a normal human being?
We will find out the answers to these questions if Anderson Silva wants to keep this sport running and keep taking good fights.
Finally Anderson agreed to a rematch with Chael which drew to be the best PPV in UFC history, lets see if he continues to keep things running.
Part of being the company's top guy is knowing your responsibilities, you have to know how to build up fights.
Hopefully the UFC will take lessons from UFC 148 and keep bringing us the most exciting fights we can ask for.
Since neither Anderson or Jon Jones appear eager to fight each other lets just keep their fights within fighters in their own divisions for now.
Lets give this Chris Weidman a chance and see what he could do, lets all give Michael Bisping another fight to see if he can earn himself a title shot.
For years Michael Bisping's talent has been up there with some of the best in the sport he is another guy not to overlook.
As for now lets hope Chris Weidman has what it takes to shock the world and change the UFC forever and for the better.
Chris I beg you as a UFC fan to take this chump out of the sport for good.

No comments:
Post a Comment