
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/08/08/alg_aj_burnett.jpg
Every day I am seeing people talk about the unprofessional side of A.J. Burnett. It seems like New York media has that thing where they have to take a great player, and do what they can to tear them down.
Burnett has been every bit as professional as anyone in the game, and I am sure there is many players in the major leagues who would say the same.
Every one is talking about A.J. not being able to keep his emotions under control on the mound, but that is complete nonsense.
If you have played the game of baseball you know that it is an impossibility to stay calm at all times. Baseball is a confusing game, and when you are struggling it can be frustrating.
Burnett has not backed away from any of the questions that have been thrown at him, and has a home on the New York Yankees.
For a pitcher who is pitching so terrible Burnett still has held his ERA around the 4's most of the season, how many Yankee pitchers have done that the last few years?
I think people forget when we had Randy Johnson who was posting ERA's over the 5's. You have seen it with Alex Rodriguez the more you blow this up now the more it will be on the mind of Burnett.
There is a lot of pressure to be where he is, and he has had a lot of uncalled for things said about him. For those who get on him expressing his emotions I guess A.J. should be sorry that he has a drive to win, and is frustrated with losing.
It is the same with Joba Chamberlain get on the man for pumping his fist turned away from the batter, and then you have Francisco Rodriguez staring directly at the hitter raising his hands as if he won the WWE Heavyweight Title.
God forbid anyone throw their hands up in frustration when their catcher is constantly messing with their rhythm.
It seems it is only curtain players who get picked on for their actions on the field, if you go by emotions I guess it was okay for Chad Gaudin to show up his manager Joe Girardi in the middle of the pitchers mound during the Yankees last trip to Oakland.
Jorge and A.J. are close, and do not hold any personal grudges as far as I know. People need to stay away from that because both players seem to be looking out for one another.
Once Burnett settles down and goes back to throwing his game I will write a big story to support him. I cannot wait to write about his next start as I have the feeling he will shut the critics up once and for all.
I love Jorge Posada but just let Burnett get Cervelli or Molina his next start, and I guarantee better results.
For those of you who are openly bashing this man keep talking, and put your money where your mouth is. A.J. Burnett will give it back to all of those who have doubted his character and the way he goes about his business.
No comments:
Post a Comment